When A+ Pest Control is called on to rid a property of pests, our technicians prepare for any insect or rodent. The pest we are most requested to treat is ants.
Antarctica is the only continent they do not inhabit. Very odd since ‘ant’ is part of its name. There are as many as 13,000 different species the world over. Alabama has approximately 170 different types of ants within its borders.
Below are five of the most prevalent:
- Dark Rover Ant: Although these ants are widespread in Alabama, they are not considered dangerous. They do not bite or sting; however, they are resistant to many of the pest chemicals used by professionals. They hide in spaces that are dark, damp, and moldy.
- Argentine Ants: They carry the name of the country they are originally from. The only health risk these pests pose to humans is that of food contamination. This species can reproduce quickly. Most ant colonies have just one queen; Argentines have as many as 100 queens, all laying eggs. They prefer the outdoors but, they nest around moisture. A+ Pest Control encourages homeowners to repair places of standing water and eliminate moist environments.
- Pharaoh Ants: These ants are light yellow in color and nearly transparent. They get their name from the legend that these ants were among the ten plagues noted in the Bible. However, science has yet to prove that theory. Pharaoh ants are frequently found in places near food preparation. They are especially dangerous in health care facilities. Carrying pathogens such as Salmonella and Strep, they have found their way into IV bags, wounds, and sleeping patient’s mouths. A+ Pest Control treats pests in any setting, homes, businesses, and hospitals.
- Odorous House Ants: If you have ever smelled a decaying coconut, then you have experienced the scent of a squashed Odorous House Ant. They don’t sting or bite, but much like any ant, it will spread disease. If someone steps on an Odorous House Ant, that odor will trigger an alarm for others to come to the rescue. Thousands of Odorous Ants will surround the dead ant. That alone is cringe-worthy.
- Pavement Ants: These ants get their name from the nests they build in the cracks and crevasses of the pavement surrounding a home. These ants will bite but, if you leave them alone, they will go about their routine. Their routine is building nests in sidewalks, foundations, and other structures made of concrete. The time they are most visible is after heavy rain. They will leave their nests seeking a dry area. Many homeowners worry about these insects destroying the foundation of houses and buildings. Scientists have not found evidence of that happening. What does happen, particularly with concrete floors, is they will come through the floor looking for food and water.
A+ Pest Control will come to your home or place of business and take care of any pest problem. The technicians are highly trained professionals who know what to look for and how to treat it safely. If the pests are spotted at your place of business, our staff will make an extra effort to come after business hours and treat the areas of concern. You can depend on A+ Pest Control in Alabama to do things right the first time.